Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Best Day Ever!

Well, it's up there with some of my other Best Day's Ever.

I got a call from a Maria Something at Scrapbooks Etc. and of course I'm thinking "I don't have a subscription, is there a store called Scrapbooks Etc.?" She repeated her info and still I didn't get it.
Then, as if a bright light went off, I realized that it was "THE PHONE CALLL". You know, the one where you want to remember what it is you were doing at the time of the call! The call that someone from a major publication makes probably on a regular basis and isn't much of a big deal to them, but the call that makes the callee's day! The call to say "WE, the Magazine put out by your peers, WE, whose Magazine you scour every issue of in search of new ideas and inspiration, WE LOVED your little bird family tree so much that WE want to publish it in our Magazine!" That's not exactly what she said but you get the idea. Anyway, I was watching 6teen with Emily and playing Solitaire on my ipod, in my pjs.
Then I got the second call...WE are too worried that your frame and glass will get busted by unruly postal workers that we might not want it, to which I replied "I don't care, I'm sending it anyway!" And all is good, I will bubble wrap the bubble wrap to get that baby there in one piece and if it comes home damaged, I can always get another frame.

This is not the first time I have been published. Nooooo...when a girl sends a letter to a mountain bike magazine about her husband dropping on his head and nearly ripping his ear off and her husband sends a letter about the same topic, guess whose letter gets picked? Not the male, they already have them hooked, they published mine! And when I didn't get the free t-shirt that U.S. mag promised I called and aske if it was because I was Canadian and should I write a letter about that? I got the shirt fast!
And I letter I wrote with a woodcraft helpful tip got published too, and I got paid in U.S. funds for it. Nothing too exciting...just how I use overhead transparencies as pattern templates so that I can see where the knots and stuff are on the wood. This tip could also apply to papercrafts...you could see where the pattern on the paper would lay if you were to cut that shape out like this or that.

And I'm celebrating...I woke Tara B. up with a big, loud "Scrapbooks Etc. wants my bird tree!" and I think she said "What?" She was asleep. Best Day Ever for her? Probably not, but she gets to have lunch with me, Kelli Almost Published Williams! And then we are shopping for nothing in particular.
And my BDE news will keep me walking this afternoon when Emily and I have to make the epic trek to the dentist because I gave up the van to Kerry so he didn't have to ride his bike in all the snow.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I'm so excited for you Kelli! (even though you woke me up!) That's awesome news!

Cheryl said...

That is SO EXCITING!!!! Congratulations!!!
(and I'm so not surprised!)

Anonymous said...

congratulations! We can say we knew you when........hehehe

Anonymous said...

aren't you glad you didn't keep that bet with Neena that you would never scrapbook? lol Congrats - it was only a matter of time, because your stuff is amazing!
NB - my friend Talia was on the cover of Simple Scrapbooks for Jan/Feb and she didn't take the picture or do the layout, can you believe that luck?

Kimberly said...

YAY Kelli! I'm so thrilled for you! YAYAYAYA!!! Love ya,
K