Thursday, June 09, 2011

A Can Opener and Purse

Two totally different things, but they both make me happy.
The Ikea can opener that I think I paid about $2 for a couple years ago wasn't cutting it anymore. (Pun intended.) I could only get half the lid off the can. And it was a whole top remover type, which meant no sharp lid edges, but lots of sharp can edges. I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for!" This is applied to camera lenses, shoes, scrapbooking supplies, mountain bikes, computers, and face moisturizer. 
 So the cheap can opener got replaced with a $20 Starfrit one. After not listening to Kerry's overview of the instructions the day of purchasing, I attempted to open a can of black olives. I don't use a lot of canned food, never have, but 3 things I love from a can...tuna, black olives and mushrooms. And when I want my olives, I want them now. It took a few minutes to replay the little bits of info I recalled Kerry saying...turn, click, slide, lift. But I couldn't remember what order or what to slide, click, lift. I managed to get it figured out, but I did go around the can at least 2 times.
 The best part, I got it the first time, I just couldn't tell. The cut is clean, it's on the rim of the can, neither the lid or the can edges are sharp. The lid doesn't fall in the can and you can still use the lid for draining the liquid out of the can. Amazing. Why didn't the first can opener inventors do it this way?
My mom and aunt went to Creative Chaos in Vernon on the weekend. I usually bring home fudge and spices/dip mix. This time I came home with a quilt for Michelle, pakora mix, 2 bottles of mustard, something else I remember paying for but can't remember what it is, and this gorgeous tote/purse. When I saw it, I was drawn straight to it. I had to have it. Mom said she'd get it for my birthday. And then it was mine. I could have made it but probably not for that price. And it wouldn't be as flat, smooth or finished looking.
Busy weekend of cropping coming up. Hope to see some of you there!

1 comment:

bcgal00 Rae said...

Love that purse! I too believe you get what you pay for (wait for a sale) when it comes to shoes, can openers (love my Pampered Chef one),skin care, camera stuff and computer stuff.