Friday, August 12, 2011

Epic Fail?

I don't know what I was thinking when I saw the sliced "bacon" in the meat department. You know the kind, the not yet smoked, no nitrate kind, the sliced pork belly stuff. MMMmmm...sounds soooo yummy, give me some of that pork belly!
I bought it. I thought "I'll smoke that stuff up and there will be no going back to Schnieder's "Maple" bacon or whatever that pack of stuff is we buy at Costco."
Emily wanted it before she left for Vancouver today so I got up and fired up the smoker, prepped the 'bacon' and tossed it on the grill. Set the timer. Came back to beautiful plumes of smoke coming from the smoker, mouth watering goodness and.... charred strips of 'bacon'. OH crap! My brain said "Hurry do something before Emily sees that I've killed the bacon." I managed to save 6 pieces. We each got 3 strips. I put mine to good culinary use and made a bacon and tomato sandwich on cheddar bread. The acidity of the tomatoes and creaminess of the mayo takes away from the acrid taste of the burnt bacon. (I learned that bunch of nonsense from the Food Network, in truth I was so hungry I didn't care!)
But even slightly charred, bacon is still God in this house.

1 comment:

bcgal00 Rae said...

I"ve been living off Lilydale turkey bacon...love that stuff! Not as delish as real bacon but not as bad as the other cardboard tasting turkey bacon brands. There is a great "mouth feel" to it and pleasant lingering aftertaste. (How's that for Food Network lingo? LOL)I've been immersed in Masterchef, Hell's Kitchen,Chopped and The Next Food Network Star laterly.